Almora, located in the Kumaon Division of Uttarakhand, India, is a beautiful city. Perched at an altitude of 1,638 meters above sea level, the city is surrounded by the Himalayas and surrounded by pine and oak forests with spectacular sunrises to catch your eye. The city offers views of the Himalayas, including Nanda Devi.
It is known as the center of Kumaon, the city of Kumaon art. Known as the City of Arts, Almora has a rich artistic heritage and is home to several ancient temples and sanctuaries. The city is also known for handicrafts such as handwoven cloths, robes, wooden relics, and crafts.
Of course, it is also known for its scenic beauty, with lush waterfalls and panoramic views of the Himalayas. It is one of the most popular destinations for adventure seekers as it is surrounded by many hiking trails and has many beautiful trails in the surrounding hills making it a perfect place for trekking and hiking.
Nanda Devi Temple, Jageshwari Temple, and Binsar Wild Sanctuary are the most popular tourist attractions in the area. All in all, anyone interested in exploring the great outdoors should visit this one. The beauty of Uttarakhand, its cultural and artistic heritage, and history.
BEST TIME TO VISIT ALMORA
- The summer months of March to June and the autumn months of September to November are the best times to visit Almora.
- During these times the rainfall is pleasant, and the skies are clear, making it perfect for sightseeing, trekking, and out-of-door activities.
- In Almora, the winter months between December and February can be quite cool with temperatures falling to below zero. However, this is a great time to visit, and you can enjoy winter sports such as skiing and snowboarding if you like cold rain and want to see snow.
HOW TO REACH FROM MAJOR CITIES
- The town of Almora is well connected by road, and can easily be reached from major cities in India. Other cities include: Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru and Chennai. The closest airport to Almora is Pantnagar and one of the ways you can get there is by plane.
- The second option is to take direct train into the nearest railway station, situated approximately 90 kilometers away at Katgodam. There is direct train connections between Kathgodam to Delhi, Lucknow, Dehradun and Kolkata. To reach the final destination you may then take a bus or taxi from Kathgodam.
THINGS TO DO IN ALMORA
There are plenty of things and activities for trippers. You can do some of these things:
Hiking and trekking
You can go on a hike or journey to explore the Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary. There is a wide variety of flora and fauna in this area, where you may find such creatures as leopards, deer or Himalayan black bears. Nature walks to explore the natural beauty of this town girdled by beautiful mountains and valleys can be enjoyed.
Kumaon Regimental Centre Gallery
For anyone with an interest in the Kumaon Regimental Centre Gallery, it should not be missed. as an important part of the Indian Army’s military history, one of its oldest and most decorated paratroop regiments.
Buy local handicrafts
Visit the original markets to buy monuments, especially handwoven shawls and robes which are famous for their craft.
Enjoy local cuisine
Moreover, Almora offers a variety of original cuisines, including Kumaoni dishes such as bhatt ki churkani, aloo ke gutke, and kachmauli. In restaurants and cafes in the city you will find a wide range of cuisine from northern India.
NEARBY PLACES TO EXPLORE
From Almora, you will find a number of locations to explore. We’ve got some popular destinations that you can visit.
NAINITAL – The popular mountain station Nanital, is about 60 kilometers from Almora.
RANIKHET – about 50 kilometers from here, is a peaceful hill station.
KAUSANI – about 50 miles from here, a beautiful hill station.
BINSAR – Binsar is a wildlife sanctuary located about 30 kilometers, known for its beautiful forests.